where an oddball intellectual and sometimes-composer does his idea-spewing for posterity (updated, usually) (also now with GOUDA)
22.4.10
a few small, important questions
Music criticism is a baffling thing. Having written reviews, the questions of objectivity and taste are always paramount. As it approaches lay audiences, what else can be said beyond an opinion? How can there be equal measures of education and elucidation about the music? At what point does criticism stop and theoretical analysis begin? Must criticism defend itself by means of observing musical works in a radically lucid analysis to justify whether a work is “good,” “bad,” or “neither?”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I overheard a conversation yesterday about how one reacts to music, and if it has anything to do with Cultural background, socioeconomic status, your enviroment...ect. If I played Chris Botti for a group their reaction to the music may not be the same as mine. While I love Chris Botti, they may think it's too slow or boring. Or, they may fall in love as well. When I listen to Jazz, for some reason, I can visualise how it must be laid out on sheet music. i also see colours and scenes in my head without even trying. It's really bizarre.
It's a tough line to draw, especially when people may not have a musical background or know much about it.
...I have no idea if this made any sense or if it was just gibberish.
Post a Comment